Connect with us

News

Buhari Leaves For UK Checkup As Doctors threaten Fresh Strike

Published

on

Buhari
  • Buhari beats 21-day requirement, avoids handover to Osinbajo
  • NARD laments accumulated salaries, says FG fails to fulfil promise

The President, Major General Muhammadu Buhari (retd.), will on Friday proceed to London for “a scheduled medical  follow-up.”

 

 

His Special Adviser on Media and Publicity, Femi Adesina, disclosed this on Thursday in a statement titled, ‘President Buhari off to London Friday for medical follow-up.’

 

 

The statement read, “President Muhammadu Buhari will proceed to London, the United Kingdom on Friday, June 25, 2021, for a scheduled medical follow-up.

 

 

“He is due back in the country during the second week of July, 2021.”

 

 

Buhari leaves for London at a time of looming threats of industrial action from the National Association of Resident Doctors.

 

 

Recall that the President had on Tuesday, March 30, 2021 embarked on a medical trip to London for a routine medical check-up and returned two weeks later.

 

 

If the President had stayed in London for more than  three weeks during his March trip, it would have been mandatory for him  to hand over to the Vice-President, Prof. Yemi Osinbajo, as demanded by the constitution.

 

At the time he was leaving in March, NARD  declared its intention to commence a strike on April 1 and carried out its threat as resident doctors refused to work for over two weeks.

 

On Thursday again, NARD issued a fresh four-week ultimatum to the federal and state governments to address its demands including the payment of hazard allowances.

 

The association in a communiqué issued at the end of the virtual emergency National Executive Council lamented the failure of the government to fulfil the conditions it laid down with led to the suspension of its strike in April.

 

NARD said it observed that salary arrears of January, February and March of its members particularly in the University of Port Harcourt Teaching Hospital, University of Calabar Teaching Hospital and University College Hospital, Ibadan had been paid but was deeply worried about the re-accumulation of unpaid salaries in coming months if these members are not captured in the Integrated Payroll and Personnel Information System

 

The association also lamented the extortion of money from its members by the Lagos University Teaching Hospital under the guise of minimum wage while also stating that nothing had been done by the Federal Government to the implementation of national minimum wage and non payment of salaries since the suspension of the last strike.

 

NARD alleged that its members in Abia State University Teaching Hospital, Imo State University Teaching Hospital, University of Maiduguri Teaching Hospital, Ekiti State University Teaching Hospital and Barau Dikko Teaching Hospital were owed salaries ranging from 18 to one month.

 

 

“The NEC unanimously resolved that the total and indefinite strike action embarked upon by our members on April 1, 2021 should remain suspended and the Federal Government and State Governments be given four weeks to resolve the pending issues as stated otherwise risk the resumption of the strike.

 

It said except for Delta, Bayelsa, Enugu, Ogun and Oyo states, all the other states have yet to implement the new minimum wage for its members.

 

 

Meanwhile, there was no indication on Thursday that the President would be handing over power to  Osinbajo.

 

 

PUNCH reports that when the President travelled for several months between 2016 and 2018, he transmitted power to his deputy.

 

 

However, in the last two years, Buhari has not done so for unexplained reasons.

 

 

In 2019, Activist, Inibehe Effiong, sued the President for travelling to the UK on vacation without transmitting a letter to the National Assembly empowering Osinbajo to take over in line with Section 145 of the constitution.

 

 

However, Justice A.O Faji ruled that Buhari was not under a duty to handover to Osinbajo unless he was absent for a period exceeding 21 days. The Presidency had also issued statements defending Buhari’s decision not to transmit power to Osinbajo.

 

 

PUNCH.

News

Van Vicker Finally Bags Varsity Degree — 24 Years After Secondary Education

Published

on

Van Vicker

Van Vicker, the multiple award-winning Ghanaian actor, has finally bagged a university degree — about 24 years after completing senior secondary school.

 

The 43-year-old movie director, who is a renowned face in Nollywood, took to his Instagram page to recount the touching tale of his educational journey.

He said while his secondary schoolmates were enrolling at the tertiary institution in 1997, his single mother couldn’t afford to send him to school.

 

He also accompanied the post with a photo in which he could be seen wearing a graduation robe of the African University College of Communication (AUCC).

 

 

Vicker said he bagged first-class honours in Strategic Communications and was named the overall best in his set.

 

 

“21 years later, here I stand before you with 3 achievements during my graduation; to God be the glory. 1. 1st class honors. 2. Best Student in Strategic communication. 3. Best Communication Student Award,” the actor wrote.

 

“The above is within the context of my 2021 post on social media and is in no way presumptuous but uprightly to inspire. I could not enroll at a tertiary institution in 1997 because my single mother did not have the funds.

 

“If free SHS was available back in the day, most likely I would have graduated in 2000/2001. My career took off and I have been blessed but as someone who relishes education getting that degree was just a matter of time.

 

 

“I complete my Masters program this December and I am sorely motivated and committed to going even beyond, God willing. I thank all those who supported me and are supporting me during this journey.”

 

Vicker has appeared in hundreds of films including ‘My Soul Mate’, ‘Heart of Fire’, ‘Popular King’, ‘Gambling with Marriage’, ‘Harvest of Love’, ‘Stolen Will’, ‘The Joy of a Prince’, ‘Discovered’, ‘The Kingdom’ and ‘Against The Law’.

Continue Reading

News

Hushpuppi Pleads Guilty To Fraud

Published

on

Hushpuppi

Nigerian scammer Ramon Olorunwa Abbas also known as Hushpuppi has pleaded guilty to fraud in an American court.

 

 

United States Department of Justice (DoJ) in a statement on Wednesday said court documents show that Abbas, a 37-year-old Nigerian national, pleaded guilty on April 20.

 

 

A version of Hushpuppi’s plea agreement filed late Tuesday outlines his role in a school finance scheme, as well as several other cyber and business email compromise schemes that cumulatively caused more than $24 million in losses.

 

 

Acting United States Attorney Tracy L. Wilkison said Hushpuppi allegedly faked the financing of a Qatari school by playing the roles of bank officials and creating a bogus website in a scheme that also bribed a foreign official to keep the elaborate pretense going after the victim was tipped off.

 

 

Wilkison stated that Hushpuppi played “a significant role in the scheme, funded his luxurious lifestyle by laundering illicit proceeds generated by con artists who use increasingly sophisticated means.”

 

 

Kristi K. Johnson, the Assistant Director in Charge of the FBI’s Los Angeles Field Office said Hushpuppi “among the most high-profile money launderers in the world, has admitted to his significant role in perpetrating global BEC fraud, a scheme currently plaguing Americans.

 

 

“His celebrity status and ability to make connections seeped into legitimate organizations and led to several spin-off schemes in the U.S. and abroad,” Johnson said in the DoJ statement.

 

 

Hushpuppi and members of his gang were arrested while sleeping at their Dubai residences in June 2020.

 

 

The Nigerian fraudster was arrested along with Olalekan Jacob Ponle, also known as Woodberry and 10 others.

 

Continue Reading

News

Mother Of 10 Loses 48 Years Marriage Over Denying Husband Sex

Published

on

SEX

 

A mother of 10, Mrs Tolu Osho, has lost her 48-year-old marriage for allegedly denying her husband sex.

 

 

An Igando Customary Court in Lagos, on Wednesday, granted the request of her estranged husband, Mojidi, to dissolve the union.

 

 

The court president, Mr Adeniyi Koledoye, said that since the petitioner insisted on divorce after several interventions, the court was left with no option other than to grant him his prayer; and pronounced the union dissolved.

 

 

“The court hereby pronounces the marriage between Mr Mojidi Osho and Mrs Tolu Osho dissolved yesterday.

 

 

“Both of you henceforth cease to be husband and wife.

 

 

 

“Each of you should go his or her separate ways unmolested; the court wishes both of you well in your future endeavours,” Koledoye asserted.

 

 

The president ordered the petitioner to pay N250,000 to his wife as a severance fee and also pay another N250,000 for her to get a new accommodation.

 

The petitioner, a 72-year-old mechanic, Mr Mojidi Osho, had earlier told the court to nullify his marriage because his wife was denying him his conjugal right to sleep with her.

 

“The last time my wife allowed me to sleep with her was 10 years ago.

 

 

“I am starving seriously, but whenever I come home with my girlfriends, she will chase them away,” Osho said.

 

 

The septuagenarian also accused his wife of threatening to kill him so that she can inherit his property.

 

 

“My wife wanted to kill me; she has been feeding me with poison.

 

 

“There was a day I fainted and was rushed to the hospital and it was detected that I ate poison.

 

 

“I thought I will not survive it, but God saved me and I stopped eating her food,” he said.

 

 

The embattled man said his wife was a witch who kept attacking him in the spiritual realm.

 

 

 

“On two occasions, she shot arrows at me in my sleep which led to sicknesses, but God healed me.

 

 

“She also buried charm in my workshop and customers stopped patronising me.

 

 

“My wife made me impotent, but I survived it after spending huge amounts on hospital and herbal treatment,” he claimed.

 

 

“Tolu makes my life miserable, I would have gone far in life if I have not married her.

 

 

“I regret the day I met her and I wish I can turn back the hand of the clock,’’ Osho said.

 

 

According to him, Tolu stopped washing his clothes 27 years ago; h,e therefore, begged the court to end the marriage to save him from committing murder.

 

 

Responding to the allegations, the 68-year-old trader, Tolu, said that she denied her husband sex for only four years not 10 years as he claimed.

 

 

“I stopped him from making love to me four years ago when he started bringing different girls home to sleep with, after which he will want to sleep with me; so I refused him,” she stated.

 

 

 

The mother of 10 children denied threatening her husband’s life or attempting to kill him through poisoning.

 

“I did not poison my husband’s food since 1973 when we got married, is it now that I will poison him?

 

“He is just looking for excuses to discard me; he came to this court to divorce his second wife, now he wants to also divorce me so that he can marry a new wife,” Tolu said.

 

According to her, Osho is fond of invoking curses on their children, which is affecting their lives now.

 

The respondent begged the court not to grant her husband’s wish for the dissolution of their marriage, saying she still loved him

 

 

 

 

Continue Reading

Trending

Trending

Copyright © 2020 Thepage News