Connect with us

News

Building Collapse in Lagos state is Very Worrisome Dimension as Many Lives are Lost and Huge Investments Wasted

Published

on

The spates of building collapse in Nigeria in the past ten years in Lagos state have assumed a very worrisome dimension as many lives are lost and huge investments wasted. Our condolences to the affected families who lost family members to the recent Lagos Island  building  collapses
The Lagos state  chairman for Liberation Movement Party LM Hon. Rahman Adebiyi Lamented that several causes of building failure had been attributed to either natural or man-made phenomena, in Nigeria surveys carried out have shown that the use of substandard building materials; poor workmanship, the use of quacks instead of professionals, non-enforcement of building codes or construction regulations, corruption in the building industry etc. have contributed immensely in most of the recorded cases of building failures.
Consequently, these often results to building collapse which has adverse effect on both people and investments in the building industry. In the year 2014 over one hundred and twenty deaths related to building collapse was recorded in Lagos. Similar stories goes for cities like Port-Harcourt, and Abuja. Empirical data suggested huge loss of investments in areas with cases of building collapse in Nigeria. Rahman Adebiyi   provides relevant information on the state of the nation in respect of the incidences of building collapse and the tendency for the situation to persist if adequate measures are not urgently taken.
 In his words the LM state chairman  ’The spate of building collapse in the past years is a re-awakening to the fact that both the government and the people need to collaborate more than ever not only to stem the collapse but also to ensure that people building houses obey the physical planning laws of the state. This is attainable when government and its people work together and build right,” Adebiyi stressed.
Meanwhile there was a little drama at the Lagos State General Hospital as families of victims of the collapsed building protested over what they described as inhuman treatment from the hospital management. He however recommended that to curb or eradicate the incidences of building collapse, all the stakeholders in the construction industry should adhere strictly to the provisions of the building code, the SON (Standard Organization of Nigeria) should ensure that only certified building materials are allowed in the market.
Similarly, government should put in place machinery for strict monitoring of construction sites by enforcing relevant laws to sanitize the building industry.

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Crime

Guest Flees As Hotel Uncovers Murdered Female Companion

Published

on

Companion

The Kwara State Police Command has begun searching for a man who allegedly killed a lady in a hotel in Ilorin, the state capital, about three weeks ago.

 

 

The suspect, whom the police identified as Adegboye James of Okelowo Street, Ede, Osun State, was alleged to have murdered the lady whom he brought to the hotel on Adewole Housing Estate, Ilorin, on May 27, 2021.

 

 

The police, in a statement signed by the command’s Public Relations Officer, Ajayi Okasanmi, said the address given by the suspect was fake and could not be traced.

 

 

He called on members of the public whose daughter or female relation was missing since May 28, 2021, to check the Homicide Section of the State Criminal Investigation Department for possible identification of the corpse.

 

 

The statement read, “On May 28, 2021, around 7.30pm, we responded to a call from one  Olalekan Anafi, the supervisor of Premium Diamond Hotel, in the Adewole area of Ilorin that on May 27, 2021, around 2pm, one Adegboye James, lodged at their hotel.

 

 

“The said Adegboye James went out and came back with a lady.  The said Adegboye James later checked out of the hotel without the knowledge of any of the hotel staff.

 

 

“In the morning of the following day when nothing was heard from the room occupied by the said lodger, a spare key was used to open the room and the hotel was confronted by the dead body of the lady.

 

“Investigation into the incident is already at an advanced stage as ordered by the Commissioner of Police, Kwara State, CP Mohammed Bagega, to arrest the lodger whose name and address as reflected in the hotel’s logbook is fake.”

 

In another development, the Kwara State command of the Nigeria Security and Civil Defence Corps said its operatives are searching for a motorist who allegedly cut off the hand of a seven-year-old Alimanjiri student, Usman Abubakar, of Malam Aliu Adamu School, Patigi, in the Patigi Local Government Area of the state.

 

 

A statement by the Public Relations Officer of the NSCDC, Babawale Afolabi, said the child was allegedly kidnapped together with his schoolmate by the unknown motorist, who promised to take them to where they would eat on Monday night.

 

 

Babawale said the suspect, who is now at large with the boy’s hand, later escaped into the bush.

 

 

He said the victim lost much blood and was treated at the Patigi General Hospital.

 

 

The PRO said the NSCDC had commenced investigation into the incident.

Continue Reading

News

Buratai, Olanisakin Get Ambassadorial Postings, Buhari Silent On Other Ex- service Chiefs

Published

on

Buhari

Former Chief of Army Staff, Lt.Gen. Tukur Yusufu Buratai (rtd), has been deployed to Benin Republic. While General Abayomi Gabriel Olonisakin (rtd), former Chief of Defence Staff, has been appointed the head of mission to Cameroon.

At a brief ceremony in Abuja on Tuesday, the Minister of Foreign Affairs, Geoffrey Onyeama, presented letters of credence to the ex-service chiefs.

 

 

This was disclosed by Mr Kimiebi Ebienfa, information officer of the ministry.

 

 

“The Honourable Minister of Foreign Affairs, H.E. Geoffrey Onyeama today 22 June 2021, presented Letters of Credence to the Ambassador-Designate of Nigeria to the Republic of Cameroon, General Abayomi Gabriel Olonisakin (Retired) and the Ambassador-Designate of Nigeria to the Republic of Benin, Lt.Gen. Tukur Yusufu Buratai (Retired).”

 

 

“The Minister of Foreign Affairs during the brief ceremony congratulated the immediate past service chiefs on their appointment by Mr. President and called on them to deploy their wealth of experience to promote Nigeria’s interest during their tour of duty in countries of accreditation,” he said in a statement.

 

 

However, the statement was silent on the postings of the other former Service chiefs, Vice Admiral Ibok- Ette Ibas (retired) former Chief of Naval Staff; Air Vice Marshal Sadique Abubakar (retired), ex-Chief of Air Staff and and Air Vice Marshal Muhammad S. Usman (Rtd), former Chief of Defense Intelligence.

 

 

President Muhammadu Buhari had, on February 4, 2021, appointed the ex-service chiefs as non-career ambassadors.

 

 

The president appointed the ex-service chiefs in 2015 and refused to bow to the pressure to relieve them of their duties until they “voluntarily resigned”.

 

 

 

Their ambassadorial appointment sparked public outrage, with calls on the Senate to reject their nominations.

 

 

Despite the outrage, the Senate, on February 23, 2021, confirmed their nominations.

Continue Reading

News

UNIJOS Hires Hunters To Secure Campus Against Bandits

Published

on

UNIJOS

The University of Jos (UNIJOS) has hired local hunters to beef up security within and around the campus, its vice-chancellor Prof. Sabastine Maimako has stated.

 

 

Maimako announced this on Tuesday during the valedictory session to mark the end of his five-year tenure.

 

 

He said: “It is no longer news that the security situation in the country is quite tenuous. This is why under my administration we made frantic efforts to ensure that all lives and property within the University are adequately protected.

 

 

“When we got a security report that we were the soft targets, we closed our hostels for almost two weeks and suspended lecturers eventually.

 

 

“Now before we could reopen, we were given a condition that we must employ the services of local hunters to help us secure our hostels, particularly at night.

 

 

“Today, this is where we are but thanks to God the Director of Peace and Conflict Studies looking at the happening, he has offered to train these hunters on the rule of engagement in their working in the University.”

 

 

He noted the institution has collaborated with various security experts for a significant drop in crimes on campus while some staff were recruited to address the deficits in security personnel.

 

 

He said his administration initiated and completed 85 projects which have been commissioned.

 

 

The VC explained out of the 75 programmes, which the institution was to run, 43 have full accreditation status while 30 programmes have interim accreditation status.

Continue Reading

Trending

Trending

Copyright © 2020 Thepage News