Connect with us

News

Contract Hijack: NNPC Director’s NameBadu,Surfaces As Militants Go On Rampage  

Published

on

Hundreds of youths and ex-agitators from 111 communities of Ijaw, Urhobo, Itsekiri and Isoko ethnic nationalities who are hosts to OML 30 facilities in the Niger Delta  have reportedly stormed the Government House Asaba to  demand the reversal of the recent award of the Infrastructure Surveillance contract of the 87-kilometre Trans-Forcados Pipeline to Ocean Marine Solution Limited.

The protest is the second of such in less than a month since the NNPC re-awarded the surveillance contract to the new firm allegedly without adherence to due process and in an amount said to be five times higher than what the original contractors were paid.

The youths who came into Asaba on Wednesday, in about 40 buses, completely blocked the entrance to the Government House chanting war songs, insisting that the Governor himself must address them.

They protesters completely resisted all entreaties and attempts to address them by Okowa’s aides or efforts by security agents to open a section of the gate to allow visitors in and out of the vast complex.

At about noon, Okowa came out and told the protesters that he had to suspend the State Security Council meeting to listen to their grievances.

Speaking on behalf of the ex-agitators mainly of Ijaw, Urhobo, Itsekiri and Isoko ethnic nationalities, Mr. Lord Tennyson warned that the activities of Ocean Marine Solutions Limited and its owner Captain Hosa Okunbo could spark another round of violence in the Niger Delta region

He alleged that the Group Managing Director of the Nigerian National Petroleum Corporation (NNPC), Dr Maikanti Baru, rather than promoting peace and accountability in the oil sector has  been involved in  “deals with Captain Hosa Okunbo and particularly this attempt to cause communal crisis in our state.”

According to the ex-agitators, “Okunbo, prior to this period, has been awarded the surveillance and security contracts for a couple of facilities, including Escravos to Warri Crude Oil Pipeline, the Bonny to Port Harcourt Refining Company Crude Oil Pipeline and many others.

“All of these facilities have been inactive for years because of activities of oil vandals, yet Capt Hosa Okunbo’s Ocean Marine Solutions continues to get paid in millions of dollars. He is now working in concert with Baru to add the Trans-Forcados Pipline (TFP) to that list of inactive facilities. While the TFP is under our watch, production has been seamless and no incident of oil theft has been recorded in our area. With all due respect, Sir, we challenge anyone to contradict this fact.

 “Okunbo has started steering discontent in our communities. Besides the fact that he has gone ahead to cause division between traditional authorities and community leaderships, he has also been sponsoring various groups; real and faceless, to address press briefings. He even got people to discountenance our earlier peaceful rally to your office here and if it had not been for the discipline, maturity and restraint exercised by our members, Okunbo had intended to provoke a violent conflict among youths of our communities.

The protesters who futher alleged that “ Baru, has called a Board Meeting the NPDC for Thursday, November 29, 2018, where Captain Okunbo’s Ocean Marine Solution will be formally awarded the security contract for the Trans-Forcados Pipeline.

“We will peacefully resist this ungodly attempt to destroy our lives and livelihoods,” they vowed.

They asked: “Why is the NNPC GMD piling multiple multi-million dollar contracts to someone that has shown incompetence in the contracts previously awarded to him? Why is he re-awarding a contract that has been excellently executed so far at a competitive rate to Okunbo at an over-inflated rate and why did the contract ignore due process and transparency?

Responding Governor Okowa said “ Luckily this is happening on a day we are having our security council meting. The security agents have been working hard with the support of our people and our youths to keep the Trans-Forcados Pipeline safe and because of that oil production has increased and oil revenue even to our state has increased.

“Beyond that we all know that the Heritage Energy Operational Services Ltd and Shoreline Natural Resources Ltd that are the operators of the OML 30 right from the beginning met with us as a state government and that was at the directive of Mr. President through the Chief of Staff and we sat here in Asaba with our leaders and our traditional rulers and we agreed to certain terms one of which is that the surveillance job will be hosted by people within Delta state and within the host communities.

“Thereafter, there was also a further meeting in Warri where the Secretary to the State Government (SSG) presided with all the 111 communities involved and we agreed that it is best to secure our pipelines by ourselves. You cannot come and watch people’s back yard for them since it is the people in a place who know how best t protect their property.

“And if since June 2017 that the Trans Forcados line has been re-opened, it has been functional and oil production and export has increased, there has been no complain whatsoever, I will find it very disturbing if a new contract is being awarded not to talk of awarding it under much more higher cost.

“That will definitely be irresponsible and I believe Mr President will not support such. I also believe that the Nigerian nation realises as at today that we are still very much dependent in the proceeds from oil and if oil production has improved to the level that we have some level of comfort, I do not think that an action that would lead to the disruption of production and export should be welcomed

“We will therefore, immediately cause a letter that will include your petition to be written and delivered to Mr. President, the Minister of State for Petroleum and the Chief of Staff.

“This is certainly not tolerable, anything that will be done to cause a reversal of the progress we have made should be seen as economic sabotage. Any action to re-award the surveillance contract and dismiss the locals is an act of economic sabotage”, Governor Okowa concluded.

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

News

BUA SUGAR REFINERY LATEST: TRADE & INDUSTRIES MINISTER ADEBAYO REVERSES EARLIER DIRECTIVE ON SUGAR IMPORTATION FROM FREE TRADE ZONES INTO NIGERIA

Published

on

Days after, sending out an earlier letter to the Minister of Finance, Zainab Ahmed prohibition the importation of sugar from free trade zones, in Nigeria, the Minister of Trade Industries and Investment, Adeniyi Adebayo has backtracked and reversed himself.

 

Adebayo, acting on a controversial petition written to him by the Chairman Dangote Industries Limited, Aliko Dangote and Chairman, Flour Mills of Nigeria PLC, Mr John Coumatros had written a letter which he copied the Managing  Director Nigeria Ports Authority, Comptroller General of Nigeria Customs Service as well as the Secretary to the Government of the Federation prohibiting the importation of sugar from the country’s Free Trade Zones. This move was targeted at BUA sugar refinery as well as investments.

 

Recall that BUA Group Chairman, Samad Rabiu had reacted to the petition by revealing that his investments in sugar, especially the Port Harcourt project did not pose any threat to the country’s sugar policy. According to Samad Rabiu, his was project  indeed, meant to checkmate arbitrary increase in prices and which will ultimately benefit the ordinary Nigerian on the street.

 

 

 

 

Curiously, some agencies of the Federal Government especially  the NPA, had acted on the Minister’s directive by directing all Terminal  operators to ensure strict compliance with the Minister’s order, despite a court injunction refraining not only the Ministry but all government agencies from disturbing it’s operations pending the determination of a suit filed by BUA group.

 

The move to disrupt BUA’s activities depsite the injunction clearly embarrassed the government, hence Adebayo’s quick reversal of his earlier stance and letter to the Finance Minister directing that the action be stopped.

 

As for Hadiza Bala Usman who was in a hurry to overlook the court order, she has since been suspended from office as the Managing Director of the Nigeria Ports Authority while an Acting CEO has been appointed in person of Mohammed Koko, the erstwhile Executive Director, Finance and Administration.

Continue Reading

News

THE COMPLICITY OF NATIONAL SECURITY ADVISER IN CORRUPTION AND BANDITRY IN ZAMFARA STATE

Published

on

NATIONAL SECURITY

During the 8-year reign of former Governor Abdulaziz Yari of Zamfara State , there is hardly a week the state is not in the news for either killings of scores of Zamfarans or kidnapping of them in large numbers. So bad it was during his tenure that the only presence of security is the escort services provided by security agents for workers on Yari’s farm.

 

It is despicable and rather unfortunate that a man who is battling to clear his name from many allegations of fraud and unprecedented corruption in Zamfara is seen flying around in a Nigerian Airforce Jet.

 

Mungono’s lackluster performance to rejig the security architecture which has led to breakdown of law and order has portrayed the Presidency in bad light as failing in its duty to provide security and welfare of its citizenry.

 

The approval of the use of NAF jet by Abdulaziz Yari which allegedly came from the office of the National Security Adviser further lent credence to the claims among Nigerians that the APC-led government is not serious about fighting corruption and insecurity.

 

 

Assuming without conceding that Yari facilitated the use of the aircraft on his own, one wonders an emergency situation that would warrant a former governor enjoying such luxury even when the allegations of corrupt enrichment is still hanging on his neck.

 

 

The National Security Adviser has yet again confirm the call for his removal over incompetence and that the reason for his call and advise for the declaration for a “No fly Zone” in Zamfara is unprofessional, partisan and may not be to secure the country as he would want people to believe.

 

By Hamid Shinkafi

Public affair analyst

Continue Reading

Business

Rural Resident Expresses Satisfaction On Jumia Service Delivery

Published

on

Jumia

At the current pace, there’s no denying the improved fortune of eCommerce in Africa. Even the most ardent doubters of eCommerce viability on the continent will accept that the online shopping business is gaining momentum on the continent, contrary to their forecast and expectations.

 

Major African markets like Nigeria and Kenya are improving their internet penetration while the number of mobile phone users is rising exponentially. This, in turn, is boosting the online market entrants in urban locations and gradually rubbing off on rural settlements.

 

As a result, the conversation around eCommerce in a major market like Nigeria has gravitated from doubts on feasibility and acceptance to quality of service delivery, customers expectations and satisfaction. With at least 87 e-commerce platforms in Nigeria, the online shopping community is increasing by the day with innovation and bespoke approaches to address the challenges of the market and meet customers expectations.

 

In the thick of this, some customers are already having a glimpse of what eCommerce offers at its peak, thanks to the effort of key market players. Iteshi Prince Izuchukwu, a businessman based in Rivers State said he likes shopping online because of the price slash. Based on his experience with several online shopping platforms, he was quick to acknowledge the extra effort of Africa’s market leader on its quality of service delivery. “Things I order include Television, Wristwatches and others. When I buy these items on Jumia, they deliver on time and in good condition,” he stated.

 

In today’s market where customers demand value for every penny spent, a well thought out packaging that meets the aesthetic taste of the customers can spell a huge impact on the eCommerce business. It can help reduce the volume and cost of return, foster customer loyalty and put the brand in the face of prospects. “I always feel happy when what I ordered is being delivered to me. And as a businessman, I want value for money which I can say I am getting on a platform like Jumia,” Izuchukwu said.

 

With continuous effort by eCommerce brands to meet customers’ quality, timely and packaging expectations in their service delivery, testimonials like this will go a long way in getting more people onboard the online shopping train.

Continue Reading

Trending

Trending

Copyright © 2020 Thepage News