Connect with us

News

Eight Journalists Killed, 300 Violations Recorded Under Buhari – Report

Published

on

Journalists

A 2021 Press Freedom Report released on Wednesday said eight Nigerian journalists had been killed during the regime of the President, Major General Muhammadu Buhari (retd.)

 

It added that apart from the unresolved killings, the regime recorded 300 violations, affecting about 500 journalists, media workers, and media houses in the country.

 

The report released by the Media Foundation for West Africa in collaboration with the Nigeria Union of Journalists, said the development was of major concern to the NUJ, as journalists and media organisations remained targets of attack by both protesters and government.

 

Presenting the report in Abuja, the Executive Director, Citizen Advocacy for Social and Economic Right, Frank Tietie, said such actions would bring back unpleasant memories of the long tenure of military rule and the established culture of intolerance against the media.

 

The report said Nigeria was witnessing actions that sought to undermine the profession by both state and non-state actors.

 

According to the report, Nigeria was fast gaining notoriety for its failure to tackle impunity for crimes against journalists including killings.

 

The report reads in part, “For example, in 2017, four journalists were killed in separate incidents with no credible inquiry yet to find the culprits and their motive for the fatal attacks.

 

The four were a cameraman with the Anambra Broadcasting Services, Ikechukwu Onubogu; Lawrence Okojie of the Nigeria Television Authority in Edo State, a Desk Editor with Glory FM in Bayelsa State, Famous Giobaro and freelance broadcaster in Ekiti State, Abdul Ganiyu Lawal

 

“Four more journalists have since been killed under circumstances that have yet to be clarified through any credible investigations. The killing on July 22, 2019 of Precious Owolabi, a reporter with the Channels Television in Abuja while covering a protest by members of the Islamic Movement of Nigeria-IMN, was agonising.”

 

 

The report also said clamping down on the media was a sign of weak democracy and a restive government.

 

 

Speaking earlier, the President of NUJ, Chris Isiguzo said the safety of journalists should “include the absence of arbitrary arrest, resorting to exile to escape repression, harassment, destruction and confiscation of equipment and premises, and self-censorship in media.”

 

PUNCH.

News

Van Vicker Finally Bags Varsity Degree — 24 Years After Secondary Education

Published

on

Van Vicker

Van Vicker, the multiple award-winning Ghanaian actor, has finally bagged a university degree — about 24 years after completing senior secondary school.

 

The 43-year-old movie director, who is a renowned face in Nollywood, took to his Instagram page to recount the touching tale of his educational journey.

He said while his secondary schoolmates were enrolling at the tertiary institution in 1997, his single mother couldn’t afford to send him to school.

 

He also accompanied the post with a photo in which he could be seen wearing a graduation robe of the African University College of Communication (AUCC).

 

 

Vicker said he bagged first-class honours in Strategic Communications and was named the overall best in his set.

 

 

“21 years later, here I stand before you with 3 achievements during my graduation; to God be the glory. 1. 1st class honors. 2. Best Student in Strategic communication. 3. Best Communication Student Award,” the actor wrote.

 

“The above is within the context of my 2021 post on social media and is in no way presumptuous but uprightly to inspire. I could not enroll at a tertiary institution in 1997 because my single mother did not have the funds.

 

“If free SHS was available back in the day, most likely I would have graduated in 2000/2001. My career took off and I have been blessed but as someone who relishes education getting that degree was just a matter of time.

 

 

“I complete my Masters program this December and I am sorely motivated and committed to going even beyond, God willing. I thank all those who supported me and are supporting me during this journey.”

 

Vicker has appeared in hundreds of films including ‘My Soul Mate’, ‘Heart of Fire’, ‘Popular King’, ‘Gambling with Marriage’, ‘Harvest of Love’, ‘Stolen Will’, ‘The Joy of a Prince’, ‘Discovered’, ‘The Kingdom’ and ‘Against The Law’.

Continue Reading

News

Hushpuppi Pleads Guilty To Fraud

Published

on

Hushpuppi

Nigerian scammer Ramon Olorunwa Abbas also known as Hushpuppi has pleaded guilty to fraud in an American court.

 

 

United States Department of Justice (DoJ) in a statement on Wednesday said court documents show that Abbas, a 37-year-old Nigerian national, pleaded guilty on April 20.

 

 

A version of Hushpuppi’s plea agreement filed late Tuesday outlines his role in a school finance scheme, as well as several other cyber and business email compromise schemes that cumulatively caused more than $24 million in losses.

 

 

Acting United States Attorney Tracy L. Wilkison said Hushpuppi allegedly faked the financing of a Qatari school by playing the roles of bank officials and creating a bogus website in a scheme that also bribed a foreign official to keep the elaborate pretense going after the victim was tipped off.

 

 

Wilkison stated that Hushpuppi played “a significant role in the scheme, funded his luxurious lifestyle by laundering illicit proceeds generated by con artists who use increasingly sophisticated means.”

 

 

Kristi K. Johnson, the Assistant Director in Charge of the FBI’s Los Angeles Field Office said Hushpuppi “among the most high-profile money launderers in the world, has admitted to his significant role in perpetrating global BEC fraud, a scheme currently plaguing Americans.

 

 

“His celebrity status and ability to make connections seeped into legitimate organizations and led to several spin-off schemes in the U.S. and abroad,” Johnson said in the DoJ statement.

 

 

Hushpuppi and members of his gang were arrested while sleeping at their Dubai residences in June 2020.

 

 

The Nigerian fraudster was arrested along with Olalekan Jacob Ponle, also known as Woodberry and 10 others.

 

Continue Reading

News

Mother Of 10 Loses 48 Years Marriage Over Denying Husband Sex

Published

on

SEX

 

A mother of 10, Mrs Tolu Osho, has lost her 48-year-old marriage for allegedly denying her husband sex.

 

 

An Igando Customary Court in Lagos, on Wednesday, granted the request of her estranged husband, Mojidi, to dissolve the union.

 

 

The court president, Mr Adeniyi Koledoye, said that since the petitioner insisted on divorce after several interventions, the court was left with no option other than to grant him his prayer; and pronounced the union dissolved.

 

 

“The court hereby pronounces the marriage between Mr Mojidi Osho and Mrs Tolu Osho dissolved yesterday.

 

 

“Both of you henceforth cease to be husband and wife.

 

 

 

“Each of you should go his or her separate ways unmolested; the court wishes both of you well in your future endeavours,” Koledoye asserted.

 

 

The president ordered the petitioner to pay N250,000 to his wife as a severance fee and also pay another N250,000 for her to get a new accommodation.

 

The petitioner, a 72-year-old mechanic, Mr Mojidi Osho, had earlier told the court to nullify his marriage because his wife was denying him his conjugal right to sleep with her.

 

“The last time my wife allowed me to sleep with her was 10 years ago.

 

 

“I am starving seriously, but whenever I come home with my girlfriends, she will chase them away,” Osho said.

 

 

The septuagenarian also accused his wife of threatening to kill him so that she can inherit his property.

 

 

“My wife wanted to kill me; she has been feeding me with poison.

 

 

“There was a day I fainted and was rushed to the hospital and it was detected that I ate poison.

 

 

“I thought I will not survive it, but God saved me and I stopped eating her food,” he said.

 

 

The embattled man said his wife was a witch who kept attacking him in the spiritual realm.

 

 

 

“On two occasions, she shot arrows at me in my sleep which led to sicknesses, but God healed me.

 

 

“She also buried charm in my workshop and customers stopped patronising me.

 

 

“My wife made me impotent, but I survived it after spending huge amounts on hospital and herbal treatment,” he claimed.

 

 

“Tolu makes my life miserable, I would have gone far in life if I have not married her.

 

 

“I regret the day I met her and I wish I can turn back the hand of the clock,’’ Osho said.

 

 

According to him, Tolu stopped washing his clothes 27 years ago; h,e therefore, begged the court to end the marriage to save him from committing murder.

 

 

Responding to the allegations, the 68-year-old trader, Tolu, said that she denied her husband sex for only four years not 10 years as he claimed.

 

 

“I stopped him from making love to me four years ago when he started bringing different girls home to sleep with, after which he will want to sleep with me; so I refused him,” she stated.

 

 

 

The mother of 10 children denied threatening her husband’s life or attempting to kill him through poisoning.

 

“I did not poison my husband’s food since 1973 when we got married, is it now that I will poison him?

 

“He is just looking for excuses to discard me; he came to this court to divorce his second wife, now he wants to also divorce me so that he can marry a new wife,” Tolu said.

 

According to her, Osho is fond of invoking curses on their children, which is affecting their lives now.

 

The respondent begged the court not to grant her husband’s wish for the dissolution of their marriage, saying she still loved him

 

 

 

 

Continue Reading

Trending

Trending

Copyright © 2020 Thepage News