Connect with us

News

Karen’s Death: Groups Accuse Police of Bungling scheduled Autopsy in Abuja

Published

on

Keren

A coalition of Gender Based Violence (GBV) has accused the Nigeria Police of stalling the scheduled autopsy of a 14-year old Miss Karen-Happuch Akpagher, who was allegedly rape at Premiere Academy, Lugbe in Abuja

 

Besides, it was learnt that none of the family of the deceased student was present at the hospital where the autopsy was scheduled to take place.

 

The autopsy was supposed to hold at the Maitama General Hospital Abuja last Saturday.

 

Happuch Akpagher was a boarding student in the Abuja-based school before the untimely death in a hospital in the Federal Capital Territory (FCT), Abuja.

 

The group in a statement a statement by Lemmy Ughegbe and Mrs Edoamaowo Udeme, Men Against Rape Foundation and Network Against Domestic Violence Foundation, respectively and made available to journalists, expressed dismay at the conduct of the police for purportedly stalling the arrangement.

 

The group said that following the controversies that trailed the cause of death of the deceased, an autopsy was scheduled for Saturday, July 3, 2021 in Abuja, but alleged that the Deputy Commissioner of Police (DCP) at the FCT Police Command refused to release a copy of the medical report to the police appointed pathologist.

 

The coalition of GBV responders expressed disappointed on the conduct of the police and called for a probe of the special interest of the DCP in holding to the medical report on the cause of death.

 

The statement insisted that the police displayed levity and lack of professionalism in handling the serious case, saying it portrayed the force as too casual and nonchalant with regards to cases of sexual and gender based violence.

 

He group added: “We understand that the principal pathologist at the Maitama General Hospital appointed by the police to conduct the autopsy, Dr. Desmond Ike Okonkwo had in the last 5 days demanded from the police a copy of the medical report on the death of Keren-Happuch. The pathologist said having a copy of the medical report was a pre-condition for him to conduct the autopsy.

 

“But sadly a Deputy Commissioner of Police in whose custody the said report is had by this morning of the autopsy refused to release the medical report on the basis that it was not necessary to give it to the pathologist. The Police Chief’s refusal to give the said report ended up causing the pathologist to call of the examination.

 

“This is reprehensible and raises suspicion as to his motive. Why will he want to sit on the medical report and not release it to the police appointed pathologist? What is in the medical report that the police chief does not want the pathologist to see?

 

The coalition explained that it visited the school management last Friday in order to accord them the opportunity to clear themselves of complicity and negligence, which resulted in Keren-Happuch’s death, stressing that this was in line with the constitutional rights of the school to fair hearing and in accordance with our code of conduct as GBV responders.

 

According to the group, it had already made some findings and was just waiting for the autopsy before coming out with an official position on the issue.

 

The group called on Usman Alkali Baba, the Inspector-General of Police to immediate order the DCP release the medical report for autopsy purpose, alleging that it was the same way the police frustrated the call for the arrest of one of those who raped serially for five years the – 13 year old Ochanya Elizabeth Ogbanje to death, Victor Ogbuja.

 

Meanwhile, it was also gathered that the Doctor that treated the deceased student was at the Maitama General Hospital Abuja was not present for the scheduled autopsy.

 

It was gathered that Premiere Academy was represented by the principal, Chris Akinsowon and a Consultant Histopathologist, Prof. Olusegun Ojo. While four people from the family of the deceased were also present at the hospital.

 

Prof. Ojo is of the Department of Morbid Anatomy and Forensic Medicine, Obafemi Awolowo University, Ile Ife, Osun State.

 

The acting Principal of the school further stated the Premiere Academy’s commitment to getting to the root of the matter to determine the cause of Karen’s death.

News

Van Vicker Finally Bags Varsity Degree — 24 Years After Secondary Education

Published

on

Van Vicker

Van Vicker, the multiple award-winning Ghanaian actor, has finally bagged a university degree — about 24 years after completing senior secondary school.

 

The 43-year-old movie director, who is a renowned face in Nollywood, took to his Instagram page to recount the touching tale of his educational journey.

He said while his secondary schoolmates were enrolling at the tertiary institution in 1997, his single mother couldn’t afford to send him to school.

 

He also accompanied the post with a photo in which he could be seen wearing a graduation robe of the African University College of Communication (AUCC).

 

 

Vicker said he bagged first-class honours in Strategic Communications and was named the overall best in his set.

 

 

“21 years later, here I stand before you with 3 achievements during my graduation; to God be the glory. 1. 1st class honors. 2. Best Student in Strategic communication. 3. Best Communication Student Award,” the actor wrote.

 

“The above is within the context of my 2021 post on social media and is in no way presumptuous but uprightly to inspire. I could not enroll at a tertiary institution in 1997 because my single mother did not have the funds.

 

“If free SHS was available back in the day, most likely I would have graduated in 2000/2001. My career took off and I have been blessed but as someone who relishes education getting that degree was just a matter of time.

 

 

“I complete my Masters program this December and I am sorely motivated and committed to going even beyond, God willing. I thank all those who supported me and are supporting me during this journey.”

 

Vicker has appeared in hundreds of films including ‘My Soul Mate’, ‘Heart of Fire’, ‘Popular King’, ‘Gambling with Marriage’, ‘Harvest of Love’, ‘Stolen Will’, ‘The Joy of a Prince’, ‘Discovered’, ‘The Kingdom’ and ‘Against The Law’.

Continue Reading

News

Hushpuppi Pleads Guilty To Fraud

Published

on

Hushpuppi

Nigerian scammer Ramon Olorunwa Abbas also known as Hushpuppi has pleaded guilty to fraud in an American court.

 

 

United States Department of Justice (DoJ) in a statement on Wednesday said court documents show that Abbas, a 37-year-old Nigerian national, pleaded guilty on April 20.

 

 

A version of Hushpuppi’s plea agreement filed late Tuesday outlines his role in a school finance scheme, as well as several other cyber and business email compromise schemes that cumulatively caused more than $24 million in losses.

 

 

Acting United States Attorney Tracy L. Wilkison said Hushpuppi allegedly faked the financing of a Qatari school by playing the roles of bank officials and creating a bogus website in a scheme that also bribed a foreign official to keep the elaborate pretense going after the victim was tipped off.

 

 

Wilkison stated that Hushpuppi played “a significant role in the scheme, funded his luxurious lifestyle by laundering illicit proceeds generated by con artists who use increasingly sophisticated means.”

 

 

Kristi K. Johnson, the Assistant Director in Charge of the FBI’s Los Angeles Field Office said Hushpuppi “among the most high-profile money launderers in the world, has admitted to his significant role in perpetrating global BEC fraud, a scheme currently plaguing Americans.

 

 

“His celebrity status and ability to make connections seeped into legitimate organizations and led to several spin-off schemes in the U.S. and abroad,” Johnson said in the DoJ statement.

 

 

Hushpuppi and members of his gang were arrested while sleeping at their Dubai residences in June 2020.

 

 

The Nigerian fraudster was arrested along with Olalekan Jacob Ponle, also known as Woodberry and 10 others.

 

Continue Reading

News

Mother Of 10 Loses 48 Years Marriage Over Denying Husband Sex

Published

on

SEX

 

A mother of 10, Mrs Tolu Osho, has lost her 48-year-old marriage for allegedly denying her husband sex.

 

 

An Igando Customary Court in Lagos, on Wednesday, granted the request of her estranged husband, Mojidi, to dissolve the union.

 

 

The court president, Mr Adeniyi Koledoye, said that since the petitioner insisted on divorce after several interventions, the court was left with no option other than to grant him his prayer; and pronounced the union dissolved.

 

 

“The court hereby pronounces the marriage between Mr Mojidi Osho and Mrs Tolu Osho dissolved yesterday.

 

 

“Both of you henceforth cease to be husband and wife.

 

 

 

“Each of you should go his or her separate ways unmolested; the court wishes both of you well in your future endeavours,” Koledoye asserted.

 

 

The president ordered the petitioner to pay N250,000 to his wife as a severance fee and also pay another N250,000 for her to get a new accommodation.

 

The petitioner, a 72-year-old mechanic, Mr Mojidi Osho, had earlier told the court to nullify his marriage because his wife was denying him his conjugal right to sleep with her.

 

“The last time my wife allowed me to sleep with her was 10 years ago.

 

 

“I am starving seriously, but whenever I come home with my girlfriends, she will chase them away,” Osho said.

 

 

The septuagenarian also accused his wife of threatening to kill him so that she can inherit his property.

 

 

“My wife wanted to kill me; she has been feeding me with poison.

 

 

“There was a day I fainted and was rushed to the hospital and it was detected that I ate poison.

 

 

“I thought I will not survive it, but God saved me and I stopped eating her food,” he said.

 

 

The embattled man said his wife was a witch who kept attacking him in the spiritual realm.

 

 

 

“On two occasions, she shot arrows at me in my sleep which led to sicknesses, but God healed me.

 

 

“She also buried charm in my workshop and customers stopped patronising me.

 

 

“My wife made me impotent, but I survived it after spending huge amounts on hospital and herbal treatment,” he claimed.

 

 

“Tolu makes my life miserable, I would have gone far in life if I have not married her.

 

 

“I regret the day I met her and I wish I can turn back the hand of the clock,’’ Osho said.

 

 

According to him, Tolu stopped washing his clothes 27 years ago; h,e therefore, begged the court to end the marriage to save him from committing murder.

 

 

Responding to the allegations, the 68-year-old trader, Tolu, said that she denied her husband sex for only four years not 10 years as he claimed.

 

 

“I stopped him from making love to me four years ago when he started bringing different girls home to sleep with, after which he will want to sleep with me; so I refused him,” she stated.

 

 

 

The mother of 10 children denied threatening her husband’s life or attempting to kill him through poisoning.

 

“I did not poison my husband’s food since 1973 when we got married, is it now that I will poison him?

 

“He is just looking for excuses to discard me; he came to this court to divorce his second wife, now he wants to also divorce me so that he can marry a new wife,” Tolu said.

 

According to her, Osho is fond of invoking curses on their children, which is affecting their lives now.

 

The respondent begged the court not to grant her husband’s wish for the dissolution of their marriage, saying she still loved him

 

 

 

 

Continue Reading

Trending

Trending

Copyright © 2020 Thepage News