Connect with us

News

Gunmen Abduct Lagos Varsity Deputy VC In Nasarawa, Demand N20m

Published

on

Gunmen Abduct Lagos Varsity Deputy VC In Nasarawa, Demand N20m

The Deputy Vice-Chancellor of Anchor University, Lagos State, Prof. Johnson Fatokun, has been kidnapped. Anchor University is a faith-based institution in Ayobo, Lagos, owned by the Deeper Christian Life Ministry.

It was learnt that the victim left Lagos on Sunday to drop off his two children, who were schooling in the North.

He was said to be returning on Monday when his vehicle was attacked by the gunmen in Nasarawa en route to the airport to return to Lagos.

A Punch Metro source said the assailants were in police uniform.

The source said, “The professor had dropped his son at the Deeper Life High School in the morning. He also went to drop the daughter at a federal university in Jos.

“He was returning from Jos to Keffi, Nasarawa State, late in the evening when they encountered the gunmen on the road. The driver, however, manoeuvred his way and sped through them. The gunmen started chasing the vehicle and shooting.

“There was another set of kidnappers right in front of them. They succeeded in stopping the vehicle. They beat up the driver, who managed to escape. The professor begged them for mercy, because those people were angry. That was how they whisked him away.”

Our correspondent learnt that the kidnappers had been speaking with some leaders of the victim’s church in Nasarawa.

It was gathered that the gunmen demanded N20m as ransom.

“They are talking to his colleagues and some leaders in the church. The negotiation is ongoing. We hope he will be released soon and unhurt,” the source added.

An official of the school, who spoke on condition of anonymity, confirmed the development.

He, however, said prayers were being offered for the safe release of the professor.

Fatokun is a professor of Computational Mathematics and Numerical Analysis, and was the pioneer Deputy Vice-Chancellor of the Federal University, Dutsin-Ma, before joining the services of Anchor University in 2017.

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

News

Tinubu, S/W Govs Storm Akure As Aketi Is Sworn In For Second Term

Published

on

Tinubu, S/W Govs Storm Akure As Aketi Is Sworn

Governor Rotimi Akeredolu a.k.a Aketi of Ondo State has been sworn in for a second term in office along with the new deputy governor, Lucky Ayedatiwa.

 

 

The chief judge of the state, Justice Oluwatoyin Akeredolu, administered the oath of office and allegiance for Akeredolu and his deputy at exactly 10:45 am at the International Event Centre, The Dome.

 

Akeredolu then proceeded to the parade ground outside The Dome to inspect the Guard of Honour, accompanied by the parade commander.

 

 

Some of the dignitaries at the event include the national leader of the All Progressives Congress (APC) Asiwaju Bola Ahmed Tinubu, Chairman of Governors’ Forum,

 

 

Dr Kayode Fayemi and Lagos State governor, Babajide Sanwoolu.

 

Other governors present were Governor Dapo Abiodun of Ogun State, Gboyega Oyetola of Osun State and Godwin Obaseki of Edo State and other leaders of APC across the country.

 

Continue Reading

News

Wabba Opens Can Of Worms As NLC Pickets CAC Headquarters

Published

on

Wabba Opens Can Of Worms As NLC Pickets CAC Headquarters

President of The Nigeria Labour Congress NLC, Ayuba Wabba, on Wednessday made serious allegations against Corporate Affairs Commission’s Registrar-General, Garba Abubakar.

He made the allegations during a protest rally he led to the CAC headquarters which disrupted activities around the area.

The protest led Civil servants working at Aguyi Ironsi area of Maitama in the Federal Capital Territory, Abuja, stranded following picketing of the headquarters of Corporate Affairs Commission by Nigeria Labour Congress (NLC).

The protesters, led by NLC President, Ayuba Wabba, were in solidarity with the staff of CAC under the aegis of Amalgamated Union of Public Corporations, Civil Service Technical and Recreational Services Employees (AUPCTRE), , of stalling their promotion who had accused the commission’s Registrar-General, Garba Abubakar

The entrance and exits of the building were blocked as early as 8:00 am by the visibly angry protesters – a development that also restricted vehicular movement.

They insisted that they would paralyse the activities of the Commission for three days.

Addressing newsmen at the protest ground, Wabba also alleged that the CAC’s boss committed various anti-union offences, ranging from corruption, illegal redeployment of married women out of the commission, stopping staff’s promotion arrears among others.

Wabba said Abubakar brought in environmental experts to fumigate the agency for N35 million in view of the COVID-19 pandemic, including contracting someone to paint the Zone 5 annexe office for N25 million.

The AUPCTRE, through its branch chairman, Comrade Ibrahim Makirfi, had given an ultimatum to the Federal Government to avert a crisis in the commission after series of letters detailing offences of the CAC boss.

“The issue we have with the Registrar-General of the Corporate Affairs Commission (CAC) has to do with the promotion of staff of the commission and other issues.

“There are some entitlements meant for staff that are not negotiable. For instance, the issue of promotion.

“There is no motivation to any worker anywhere except promotion,” Makirfi had complained.

Continue Reading

News

Maiduguri Explosion: How Rockets Crushed 9 Boys On Football Field

Published

on

1,525 Nigerians killed in six weeks of 2021
Maiduguri Explosion: How Rockets Crushed 9 Boys On Football Field

 

Many people have been killed and scores injured on Tuesday when Boko Haram fighters launched multiple attacks on Maiduguri, the Borno State capital.

Nine boys were killed while playing football at Gwange, near the house of the late General Mamman Shuwa, when rockets landed in the area, witnesses said.

“Four people have been confirmed dead in our area, known as Adam Kolo,” said a Maiduguri based journalists, Ali Chiroma.

“The explosive fell a few metres from our house. All the people that sustained injuries have been rushed to the UMTH for treatment,” he said.

Adults including men and women as well as children were among the fatalities, with sources saying some of the victims have lost their limbs.

The areas worst affected are Kalere, behind the University of Maiduguri Teaching Hospital (UMTH); Gwange; Adam Kolo, not far from the Shehu of Borno’s Palace and adjoining densely populated areas.

Residents and security sources said following the first set of bombs launched at densely populated areas of the city, the terrorists made attempts to use the opportunity to go into the town but were repelled.

It was the first major and audacious assault on Maiduguri in years, heightening fears among residents that the terrorists might be lurking around, observers said.

A top security source said the terrorists deployed mortar bombs and rocket launchers from the outskirt of Maiduguri and targeted the civilian population, killing many and inflicting serious injuries in others.

It was learnt that the terrorists fired the first assault around 6.04 pm and sustained the attacks for over 30 minutes, prompting thunderous sound that caused a scare as people scampered for safety.

Some of the victims were rushed to UMTH while others were taken to the Specialists Hospital around the Post Office area.

Governor Babagana Zulum was at the UMTH where he sympathized with the injured.

Victims soaked in blood in hospitals

Reports monitored by The Page News indicate that at the UMTH along Bama Road, humanitarian workers, family of victims and acquaintances rushed their injured loved ones for treatment.

There was high traffic at the Accident and Emergency Unit of the hospital with relatives struggling to get the attention of health workers to treat the injured.

“We would most likely stabilise some of the injured but the case of some of them is bad,” a doctor said, asking for anonymity.

“Some of the victims would require surgery and others would need blood transfusion. There are some who lost their limbs…” he said.

Another source at the hospital confirmed that they have 9 dead bodies brought to the facility following the multiple blasts in Maiduguri.

“It is an overwhelming situation; we have many injured persons currently receiving treatment now,” he said.

It was learnt that in other areas that similar attacks were launched, families of people that sustained serious injuries were treated at private clinics and taken back home long before the arrival of humanitarian workers.

Continue Reading

Trending

Trending

Copyright © 2020 Thepage News