The Chief Magistrate Court 2, Iyaganku, Ibadan, in the Oyo State capital, has ordered the release of three members of the Oodua Peoples Congress, three months after their detention by the Oyo State Police Command.
The OPC members – Awodele Adedigba, Dauda Kazeem and Hassan Ramon – had been detained mid-March 2021 after they arrested a suspected criminal reportedly from the Fulani ethnic stock, Iskilu Wakili.
Wakili had been accused of terrorising Igangan and other villages in the Ibarapa area of Oyo State.
The OPC had handed over Wakili to the Oyo State Police Command but the police subsequently detained three OPC members for allegedly burning down Wakili’s house and killing an unknown woman in the process.
However, the OPC and one of its leaders, Gani Adams, had said the murder and arson allegations were false, adding that it immediately handed over Wakili and three of his accomplices to the police in Igboora after their arrest.
The three detainees on Tuesday appeared before the magistrates’ court, presided over by A.O. Amzat, and were discharged and acquitted after the state’s Directorate of Public Prosecutions failed to prove to the court that the OPC men were guilty as charged.
Counsel for the defendants, Akwarandu Adetoun, told PUNCH that the magistrate struck out the case and ordered the release of the detainees.
The OPC Coordinator in Oyo State, Rotimi Olumo, also confirmed the release of his men in a chat with PUNCH on Tuesday.
Before Wakili’s arrest, farmers and residents of Igangan, Ayete, Kajola and neighbouring villages in Ibarapaland lived in perpetual fear of Wakili who was accused of displacing them from their farms, kidnapping their rich men and raping their women.
Igangan has been in the eye of the storm of late as marauding hoodlums carry out successive attacks on the rustic agrarian village, creating palpable panic and tension in residents of the area.
Earlier in June, no fewer than 17 persons were reportedly shot dead when hoodlums invaded the town on motorcycles around 11pm and started killing and destroying property, which continued until around 3am the next day.
Van Vicker Finally Bags Varsity Degree — 24 Years After Secondary Education
The 43-year-old movie director, who is a renowned face in Nollywood, took to his Instagram page to recount the touching tale of his educational journey.
He said while his secondary schoolmates were enrolling at the tertiary institution in 1997, his single mother couldn’t afford to send him to school.
He also accompanied the post with a photo in which he could be seen wearing a graduation robe of the African University College of Communication (AUCC).
Vicker said he bagged first-class honours in Strategic Communications and was named the overall best in his set.
“21 years later, here I stand before you with 3 achievements during my graduation; to God be the glory. 1. 1st class honors. 2. Best Student in Strategic communication. 3. Best Communication Student Award,” the actor wrote.
“The above is within the context of my 2021 post on social media and is in no way presumptuous but uprightly to inspire. I could not enroll at a tertiary institution in 1997 because my single mother did not have the funds.
“If free SHS was available back in the day, most likely I would have graduated in 2000/2001. My career took off and I have been blessed but as someone who relishes education getting that degree was just a matter of time.
“I complete my Masters program this December and I am sorely motivated and committed to going even beyond, God willing. I thank all those who supported me and are supporting me during this journey.”
Vicker has appeared in hundreds of films including ‘My Soul Mate’, ‘Heart of Fire’, ‘Popular King’, ‘Gambling with Marriage’, ‘Harvest of Love’, ‘Stolen Will’, ‘The Joy of a Prince’, ‘Discovered’, ‘The Kingdom’ and ‘Against The Law’.
Hushpuppi Pleads Guilty To Fraud
United States Department of Justice (DoJ) in a statement on Wednesday said court documents show that Abbas, a 37-year-old Nigerian national, pleaded guilty on April 20.
A version of Hushpuppi’s plea agreement filed late Tuesday outlines his role in a school finance scheme, as well as several other cyber and business email compromise schemes that cumulatively caused more than $24 million in losses.
Acting United States Attorney Tracy L. Wilkison said Hushpuppi allegedly faked the financing of a Qatari school by playing the roles of bank officials and creating a bogus website in a scheme that also bribed a foreign official to keep the elaborate pretense going after the victim was tipped off.
Wilkison stated that Hushpuppi played “a significant role in the scheme, funded his luxurious lifestyle by laundering illicit proceeds generated by con artists who use increasingly sophisticated means.”
Kristi K. Johnson, the Assistant Director in Charge of the FBI’s Los Angeles Field Office said Hushpuppi “among the most high-profile money launderers in the world, has admitted to his significant role in perpetrating global BEC fraud, a scheme currently plaguing Americans.
“His celebrity status and ability to make connections seeped into legitimate organizations and led to several spin-off schemes in the U.S. and abroad,” Johnson said in the DoJ statement.
Hushpuppi and members of his gang were arrested while sleeping at their Dubai residences in June 2020.
The Nigerian fraudster was arrested along with Olalekan Jacob Ponle, also known as Woodberry and 10 others.
Mother Of 10 Loses 48 Years Marriage Over Denying Husband Sex
An Igando Customary Court in Lagos, on Wednesday, granted the request of her estranged husband, Mojidi, to dissolve the union.
The court president, Mr Adeniyi Koledoye, said that since the petitioner insisted on divorce after several interventions, the court was left with no option other than to grant him his prayer; and pronounced the union dissolved.
“The court hereby pronounces the marriage between Mr Mojidi Osho and Mrs Tolu Osho dissolved yesterday.
“Both of you henceforth cease to be husband and wife.
“Each of you should go his or her separate ways unmolested; the court wishes both of you well in your future endeavours,” Koledoye asserted.
The president ordered the petitioner to pay N250,000 to his wife as a severance fee and also pay another N250,000 for her to get a new accommodation.
The petitioner, a 72-year-old mechanic, Mr Mojidi Osho, had earlier told the court to nullify his marriage because his wife was denying him his conjugal right to sleep with her.
“The last time my wife allowed me to sleep with her was 10 years ago.
“I am starving seriously, but whenever I come home with my girlfriends, she will chase them away,” Osho said.
The septuagenarian also accused his wife of threatening to kill him so that she can inherit his property.
“My wife wanted to kill me; she has been feeding me with poison.
“There was a day I fainted and was rushed to the hospital and it was detected that I ate poison.
“I thought I will not survive it, but God saved me and I stopped eating her food,” he said.
The embattled man said his wife was a witch who kept attacking him in the spiritual realm.
“On two occasions, she shot arrows at me in my sleep which led to sicknesses, but God healed me.
“She also buried charm in my workshop and customers stopped patronising me.
“My wife made me impotent, but I survived it after spending huge amounts on hospital and herbal treatment,” he claimed.
“Tolu makes my life miserable, I would have gone far in life if I have not married her.
“I regret the day I met her and I wish I can turn back the hand of the clock,’’ Osho said.
According to him, Tolu stopped washing his clothes 27 years ago; h,e therefore, begged the court to end the marriage to save him from committing murder.
Responding to the allegations, the 68-year-old trader, Tolu, said that she denied her husband sex for only four years not 10 years as he claimed.
“I stopped him from making love to me four years ago when he started bringing different girls home to sleep with, after which he will want to sleep with me; so I refused him,” she stated.
The mother of 10 children denied threatening her husband’s life or attempting to kill him through poisoning.
“I did not poison my husband’s food since 1973 when we got married, is it now that I will poison him?
“He is just looking for excuses to discard me; he came to this court to divorce his second wife, now he wants to also divorce me so that he can marry a new wife,” Tolu said.
According to her, Osho is fond of invoking curses on their children, which is affecting their lives now.
The respondent begged the court not to grant her husband’s wish for the dissolution of their marriage, saying she still loved him
Politics3 years ago
2019: Tinubu Plots Alliance With Atiku, As Plan To Dump Buhari Thickens *The Restructuring Factor
News1 year ago
Sacked Kano Emir, Sanusi Kicks Off 2023 Presidential Project.
News1 year ago
Gunmen Attack Lanre Teriba, Condition Unstable In Lagos Hospital
News1 year ago
Hakeem O. Odumosu, Commissioner of Police, Lagos State on Successes Recorded by the Command in the last 119 days
News7 months ago
JUST IN: Asiwaju Bola Tinubu Hospitalized
Business3 years ago
Lagos Guber: New Name Emmerges As Tinubu, Aregbeshola Move To Stop Ambode’s Second Term Bid
Crime2 years ago
Five Female Secondary Students Rape Teacher To Coma In Ogun State
Politics3 years ago
Iyaloja General Tinubu Ojo, Market Leaders Endorse Sanwo-Olu Ahead Sunday Election