Connect with us

Hi, what are you looking for?

slider

Man United Board’ SMS Kills  Mourinho Sack  Talk

Reports on Friday claimed Jose Mourinho was facing the sack at Manchester United, but he says he had been reassured by the club’s board.

Jose Mourinho said he received a text from the Manchester United board telling him to pay no attention to reports he was to be sacked regardless of the result in Saturday’s clash with Newcastle United.

The Daily Mirror published a story on Friday claiming Mourinho was to be dismissed as United manager this weekend, a situation that sparked much debate.

Former United captain Gary Neville – now a television pundit – slammed the club for allegedly leaking the story to a journalist, suggesting something similar happened when Louis van Gaal lost his job in 2016.

Mourinho’s side went on to win 3-2 at Old Trafford despite trailing 2-0 within 10 minutes, but the Portuguese insists the speculation surrounding his future had no impact because United’s hierarchy had already provided reassurances.

He told talkSPORT: “The ones that read the papers, that are connected with social media, they thought maybe I had gone [been sacked].

“If I hadn’t had an SMS from my board not to read [into the speculation], I would have been convinced too.”

Unsurprisingly, Mourinho was prickly with reporters in his post-match news conference, particularly when asked about what he had said to his players at half-time to inspire the turnaround.

“I think you will know what I told,” Mourinho said. “If you want to know, you will know.

“You know everything; what is true, what is not true. I’m pretty sure you will make some calls and you will know what I told at half-time.”

Mourinho also accused the media of doubting the professionalism of United’s players.

“I think there is too much talk, you put in doubt the honesty and professionalism of the players,” he added.

Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Latest Posts

News

The second prosecution witness, PW2, Abdulrahman Arabo, in the ongoing trial of Paul Usoro, SAN, a former President of the Nigerian Bar Association, NBA,...

Business

The year 2020 has been a year like no other, no thanks to Covid-19 pandemic and the accompanying restrictive measures which unleashed a far-reaching...

News

The French government has launched a “massive and unprecedented” wave of measures to combat what it calls religious “extremism”, Interior Minister Gerald Darmanin has...

News

Justice A.M. Liman of the Federal High Court sitting in Ikoyi, Lagos has ordered the final forfeiture of the sum of N235, 451, 969.89(Two...

News

A group of members of the All Progressives Congress (APC) in Kano State led by Hussaini Isa Mairiga has called on the party’s national ...

You May Also Like

Politics

Indications have emerged that the National leader of the All Progressive Congress (APC) Asiwaju Bola Ahmed Tinubu may have shifted allegiance from his party’s...

News

Former Emir Of Kano, Sanusi Lamido Sanusi may have put his dethronement in March this year, as the traditional head of the ancient Northern...

News

Popular gospel act, Lanre Teriba aka Atorise is presently in an unstable condition following injuries he sustained during an attack in Lagos at the...

News

Good morning Gentlemen of the Press and thank you for honouring our invitation. Let me start by appreciating the Inspector General of Police, IGP...