Former Super Eagles Chief Coach Samson Siasia on Friday commended the Court of Arbitration for Sports (CAS) for reducing his life ban from football to five years.
Siasia, while briefing newsmen in Abuja, said CAS judgment was a big relief worth celebrating, adding however that he had wished the ban was completely cleared.
“I want to thank CAS for their judgment which has given me hope to return back to what I know how best to do.
“I’m happy I’m gradually out of the hook, because in a couple of years I will go back to what I know how best to do,” he said.
Siasia however decried the fact that the Nigeria Football Federation (NFF) did not give him any support throughout his trying period, in spite of his meritorious service to the nation.
The former Super Eagles forward added that most of his colleagues even abandoned him, except for a few who supported him.
The coach who at different times led the national under-20 and under-23 teams to continental honours however commended the Nigerian media, particularly those in the sports sector, for standing by him.
“Even my close friends abandoned me. Even, for the Legends Game organised by FIFA, I was not invited again
“I don’t know what I did to them even when I wasn’t guilty of what I was accused of,” he said.
Siasia however contended that his case was supposed to be a government problem.
“When the life ban pronouncement was first declared by FIFA, I met with the Minister of Youth and Sports Development who barely resumed office then and briefed him, but all the minister could say was that there was no money.
“But I have invested in human beings in this country by training lots of young players who are stars today.
“How will I fight FIFA? I don’t have that strength, but the government can stand up and stand for me. But everyone left me in the dark,” he said.
On whether he was going to further appeal, the coach said he was going to consult with his lawyers in Switzerland, especially as it (the appeal) would cost about 100,000 euros.
“I will have to meet with my lawyers and decide what next to do in the next couple of days.
“If I’m going to go for appeal, we have to be sure of what will come out of it. I don’t want to think or talk about how much has been spent. If I have to appeal to CAS, I’m going to cough out at least 100,000 euros,” he explained.
An associate of Siasia, Opukiri Jones-Ere, frowned at NFF’s neglect of a man he described as a legend in the country’s Football history.
“It’s very unfortunate that not even a word came from NFF. It’s not just appalling, but disappointing. If Nigerian football authorities can’t come out to say anything, it’s rather regrettable.
“NFF has not come out to say, maybe ‘there’s no money, but we are behind you’ even when the current NFF president is from the same side of the country. Other African nations are watching.
“Instead, in the peak of the trial, even an official vehicle with Siasia was withdrawn from him,” he said.
CAS delivered its judgement on Monday and also dismissed the fine of 50,000 Swiss Francs he was ordered to pay.
In August 2019, FIFA announced that Siasia had been found guilty of accepting an offer to receive bribes in an attempt to manipulate the outcome of matches.
Sisia however denied the allegation and took the matter to CAS.
Gerrard Frustrated With Liverpool Links: I Don’t Welcome It, I Don’t Add To It…
The Reds legend is consistently linked as a future replacement for Klopp, who is expected to leave Anfield when his contract expires in 2024.
But Gerrard is unhappy about the speculation as he is “very happy” in Glasgow.
“I don’t welcome it, I don’t add to it. All I do is focus on the job I have here and I’m very flattered and grateful for the position.
“I’m very happy here, I’ve said it on numerous occasions, it’s a huge club, I’m settled, I’m happy and I can continue to develop and keep trying to push this team forward.”
Tokyo Olympics: Nigeria Leads Countries With Highest Figure Of Banned Athletes
Ten athletes from Nigeria have been banned from participating in the Tokyo Olympics.
While the names of the affected athletes were not released, a statement from the Athletics Integrity Unit (AIU), revealed that a total of 18 athletes have been declared ineligible, with Nigeria being the most affected.
According to AIU, the 10 athletes from Nigeria failed the minimum testing requirements under Rule 15.
“Under the framework of Rule 15 governing National Federation Anti-Doping Obligations, which came into force in January 2019, National Federations are accountable for ensuring appropriate anti-doping measures are in place in their respective jurisdictions.
“Among other things, the Rule sets out minimum requirements for testing on the national teams of ‘Category A’ federations deemed to have the highest doping risk and considered as a threat to the overall integrity of the sport.
“The key requirement in Rule 15 is that an athlete from a ‘Category A’ country must undergo at least three no-notice out-of competition tests (urine and blood) conducted no less than 3 weeks apart in the 10 months leading up to a major event. Only then do they become eligible to represent their national team at the World Athletics Championships or the Olympic Games.
STUNNER! Atletico Madrid Alerted As Liverpool Consider Selling Captain Henderson
The Athletic reports Henderson is considered a Liverpool legend and the club have publicised that they made an offer of a new deal which could see him end his playing career on Merseyside.
But they have made no headway during initial negotiations over an extension, opening the door to Henderson departing. His contract currently runs to 2023.
A new contract for Henderson is not seen as a major priority by sporting director Michael Edwards. The situation is described as ‘complicated and sensitive’.
Atletico Madrid are also monitoring Henderson and the Liverpool captain would be keen to join forces with Luis Suarez once again.
Politics3 years ago
2019: Tinubu Plots Alliance With Atiku, As Plan To Dump Buhari Thickens *The Restructuring Factor
News1 year ago
Sacked Kano Emir, Sanusi Kicks Off 2023 Presidential Project.
News1 year ago
Gunmen Attack Lanre Teriba, Condition Unstable In Lagos Hospital
News1 year ago
Hakeem O. Odumosu, Commissioner of Police, Lagos State on Successes Recorded by the Command in the last 119 days
News7 months ago
JUST IN: Asiwaju Bola Tinubu Hospitalized
Business3 years ago
Lagos Guber: New Name Emmerges As Tinubu, Aregbeshola Move To Stop Ambode’s Second Term Bid
Crime2 years ago
Five Female Secondary Students Rape Teacher To Coma In Ogun State
Politics3 years ago
Iyaloja General Tinubu Ojo, Market Leaders Endorse Sanwo-Olu Ahead Sunday Election