Connect with us

News

‘This Nonsense Must Stop” CJN Fumes, As 3 Judges Face Probe Over Conflicting Orders

Published

on

CJN

The Chief Justice of Nigeria (CJN), Justice Tanko Mohammed, has directed three of the judges who granted conflicting ex parte orders to appear before the National Judicial Council (NJC) to show cause why disciplinary action should not be taken against them for granting such orders.

 

 

 

The CJN gave the directive on Monday when he and three other very senior judicial officers grilled seven Chief Judges over conflicting court orders in their various jurisdictions.

 

 

 

It was gathered that the CJN descended verbally on the Chief Judges over conflicting court orders that have emanated in their states in the last one month.

 

 

Those who were at the meeting were the president of the Court of Appeal, Justice Monica Dongban-Mensen; the Chief Judge of the Federal High Court, Justice John Tsoho, and the president of the National Industrial Court, Justice Benedict Kanyip.

 

 

Last week, the CJN had summoned the Chief Judges over conflicting court orders in their various jurisdictions.

 

 

The CJs are that of FCT, Abuja, Rivers State, Kebbi State, Cross River State, Jigawa State, Anambra State and Imo State.

 

 

Shortly after the meeting, the director of information, Mr Soji Oye, said NJC will meet with all heads of court in the country and the leadership of the Nigerian Bar Association (NBA) on the issue.

 

 

The CJN, he noted, warned Chief Judges to desist from granting ex parte orders especially on political matters.

 

 

He said, ”The Chief Justice of Nigeria today had a marathon meeting with the seven invited Chief Judges (CJs) over the conflicting ex parte orders. The meeting which commenced at 11 am, and lasted till 5:30 pm, began with a one-on-one interaction with the CJs in this order: Each of the CJs was separately quizzed personally by the CJN for over an hour, before later reading a riot act in a joint session with all of them.”

See also  This Nigerian President By Olawale Olaleye

 

 

According to the director of information, a visibly angry CJN was reported to have said, “A damage to one jurisdiction is a damage to all. We must therefore put an end to indiscriminate granting of ex parte orders, conflicting judgements or rulings occasioned by forum-shopping. Your job as Heads of Court is a sacred one, and it therefore includes you vicariously taking the sins of others.

 

 

“There must be an end to this nonsense. You shall henceforth take absolute charge in assigning cases or matters, especially political personally. We shall make an example with these three Judges and never shall we condone such act”.

 

 

The CJN stated that three of the Judges who granted conflicting ex parte orders have been invited to appear before the NJC to show cause why disciplinary action should not be taken against them for granting the conflicting ex parte orders.

 

 

He warned the CJs to henceforth avoid unnecessary assumption of jurisdiction in matters with similar subjects and parties already before another court.

 

 

He said they must protect the court from lawyers who are out for forum shopping and work in tandem with all their Judges to salvage the image of the judiciary.

 

 

 

Justice Muhammad also warned the CJs against making newly appointed judicial officers vacation Judges and assigning complex cases to inexperienced judges.

 

 

He revealed that all heads of courts will be invited to a meeting to re-emphasise the need for the judiciary to be circumspect on the issue of granting ex parte orders and will also meet with the NBA leadership on the issue.

See also  Tinubu’s Supporters Clash With Critics Over N50m Donation to Katsina Market Fire Victims

 

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

News

Breaking: EFCC Re-arrests Mompha For Alleged Money Laundering

Published

on

Operatives of the Lagos Command of the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission, EFCC, have re-arrested a suspected internet fraudster, Ismailia Mustapha, for laundering funds obtained through unlawful activities and retention of  alleged proceeds  of crime.
According to a statement made available to ThePage News Online, signed by Its Media Head, Wilson Uwujaren,
 Mompha was arrested on Monday, January 10, 2022.
 The suspect is currently standing trial alongside his company, Ismalob Global Investment Limited on an amended twenty two-count charge bordering on cyber fraud and money laundering to the tune of N32.9bn (Thirty-two Billion Nine Hundred Thousand Naira) brought against him by the EFCC.
It will be recalled that Mompha had earlier been arrested on October 18, 2019 at Nnamdi Azikiwe International Airport while boarding an Emirates Airline Flight to Dubai by the staff of the Nigeria Immigration Service, following a watch list by the EFCC.
 Mompha is alleged to have used his registered companies to receive illicit funds on behalf of “yahoo yahoo” boys from across the world in return for commission.
 The account of one of his companies, Ismalob Global Investment Limited Bank, a Bureau de Change Company, domiciled in Zenith Bank Plc, was allegedly used to launder funds derived from unlawful activities.
 Investigation has revealed a fraudulent transfer slip of $92, 412, 75 found in the suspect’s IPhone 8 device.
He will soon be charged to court.

See also  Salesman Rapes 12 Year Old Twin Sisters, As Police Arrest 61 Yr Old For Raping Teenage Daughter,
Continue Reading

News

Nigeria To Conduct Digital Census In May 2022, NPC Reveals, As Bandits Kill Staff

Published

on

The Chairman of the National Population Commission (NPC), Nasir Isa Kwarra, has disclosed that the commission will conduct the maiden digital population census in May 2022.
Speaking when he paid a courtesy visit to the Governor of Kaduna State, Nasir El Rufai, on Monday, he said the commission is ready to conduct the digital population census in the country.
According to him, “We are ready to give the country a first-ever digital census by May 2022.
“We have the map data in our system, androids which unlike the analogue era will make it very easy for a reliable and credible census.”
He also stressed the commission’s capacity to tackle insecurity in all the states of the federation during the census.
He observed that the aim of his visit was to create awareness of the forthcoming census and solicit the support of the government and the people of Kaduna State for the success of its activities.
“The commission has intensified efforts towards the forthcoming Population and Housing Census as we have already conducted Enumeration Area Demarcation exercise in 772 Local Government Area’s (LGA’s) across the 36 States and the FCT.
“The demarcation of the last two LGA’s will be completed in the next one month.
“In Kaduna state, only Birin Gwari LGA is remaining because of insecurity,” the NPC chairman said.
Responding, Governor Nasir El -Rufai said Kaduna needed an update of the census in the state to ensure that plans are done in line with the number of citizens.
“As the third most populated state in the country, Kaduna will work with the commission to ensure a successful census.
“Let me use this opportunity to express our condolence on behalf of the people of Kaduna state over the death of one of your staff who was killed by bandits.
“I want to assure you of the support and cooperation of the government and the citizens of the state to help ensure a smooth conduct of the next census exercise as our doors are open to any support required,” the governor said.

See also  Makinde visits hot spots of violence in Ibadan ...I don't want anyone's life wasted, he says. ...promises to compensate those who lost properties 
Continue Reading

News

Ladoja Absent As Olubadan-in-council Announces Lekan Balogun as Olubadan-designate

Published

on

Lekan Balogun

The Olubadan-in-council has announced Chief Lekan Balogun as Olubadan-designate.

 

The Osi Balogun of Ibadan, High Chief Tajudeen Ajibola made the announcement at a press conference on Wednesday at Mapo Hall, in Ibadan, the state capital following his endorsement by 10 kingmakers.

 

According to Ajibola, the kingmakers resolved that Dr Balogun is next in line to ascend the throne of Olubadan according to the tradition.

 

 

He also debunks insinuations relating to the health and wellness of the new Olubadan-designate.

 

However, former governor Rashidi Ladoja, Osi Olubadan, was absent.

 

The Press Nigeria understands that Ibadan kingmakers are 11.

 

High Chiefs in attendance are Balogun Olubadan, Owolabi Olakulehin; Otun Balogun, Olufemi Olaifa; Ashipa Olubadan, Eddy Oyewole and Osi Balogun, Tajudeen Ajibola.

 

The others are Ekaarun Olubadan, Amidu Ajibade; Ashila Balogun Olubadan, Lateef Gbadamosi, Ekaarun Balogun, Kola Adegbola and Ekerin Olubadan Abiodun Kola-Daisi

 

More details soon

See also  Makinde a Failed Governor, Says Fayose
Continue Reading

Trending

Trending